The German program at the University of Mount Union provides students with a unique opportunity to learn the language, history, literature, and culture of the German-speaking world. Students learn to communicate effectively in the language and to prepare themselves for careers in teaching, business, international relations, and the STEM fields. The German major is structured so students can complete a second major or minor in most disciplines and still have time to spend a semester or summer in a study abroad site in Germany. Graduates will be well prepared for success in our global world after completing the German degree requirements at the University of Mount Union.
German Major Quick Facts
- The major in German consists of 30 or 32 semester hours of study in the target language, depending on the student’s point of entry into the program.
- German majors must complete a minimum of 5 semester hours in a department-approved study abroad program in Germany as part of the total hours for the major.
- Teaching Assistant from Germany assists with conversation classes and cultural events.
- Internships and Awards are available through the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange and the German Academic Exchange Service.
- Ohio Teacher Licensure in German is available to students who want to teach at the K-12 level.
- Alpha Mu Gamma is a national foreign language honorary. Exceptional world language students are invited to join by the Department.
- German Club is a student-led organization that seeks to bring German culture to its members and the Mount Union community through club events, service projects and socializing.
- Study Abroad Club is a student-led organization that promotes international education.