Minor in Communication
Complement any major with a minor in communication from the University of Mount Union. This program prepares students for a dynamic, ever-changing field that offers an array of exciting and rewarding career paths and graduate school preparation. The communication minor is designed to help you become an effective communicator and critical consumer of messages, preparing you for life as an educated citizen, professional, and leader.
About the Program
The communication minor is an excellent pairing with a variety of diverse majors at Mount Union. Students with aspirations to utilize their strong written and verbal communication skills for a meaningful career can minor in communication to explore all that the field has to offer.
The communication program is designed to help you become an effective communicator and critical consumer of messages, preparing you for life as an educated citizen and professional. This minor will provide you with a general approach to the study of communication as a wide range of subjects and theoretical perspectives are studied, including public speaking, group, organizational and interpersonal communication, just to name a few.
Review the Undergraduate Catalog to learn more.
As a communication minor at the University of Mount Union, you have numerous opportunities to build experience through offerings both on and off campus. You can learn valuable skills by creating content for campus publications as well as internships and independent studies. Our extracurricular opportunities and student organizations help strengthen your skills and provide you with critical hands-on experience.
Internships provide valuable and practical experience for students, and they help to fill the gap between the academic and professional worlds. The primary reasons for a student to participate in an internship is to learn more about the career the student wishes to pursue as well as to apply theory learned in the classroom to an actual work situation.
Mount Union students have interned with the following organizations:
Akron Beacon Journal
Washington Week in Review
Cleveland television channels: 5, 8, 19/43 and FOX Sports NET OHIO
Country Music Television
House of Blues
Walt Disney World
- Raider Student Media is a student-led organization comprised of students working together to produce and maintain both WRMU, Studio M and RaiderStudentMedia.com.
- WRMU 91.1 FM is Mount Union’s student-led radio station. Located in the Hoover-Price Campus Center, the studio includes an on-air studio, three production studios, and a student manager's office. Students can host their own radio show and hold leadership positions at the station.
- Studio M is an online video channel produced by students. Those who work with Studio M can produce content in the multimedia space located in the Raider Student Media offices in the Hoover-Price Campus Center. Multimedia and Video content is created by students in classes as well as staff and directors of Raider Student Media.
- RaiderStudentMedia.com is Mount Union’s student-led publication, and it is staffed and operated entirely by students under the supervision of a faculty advisor. Students can get involved by serving as a reporter, editor, photographer, or videographer.
- Lambda Pi Eta Honorary is an undergraduate honor society for communication students in four-year colleges and universities.