Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Degree
Create society’s next technological innovations with a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering degree from the University of Mount Union. Our four-year, interdisciplinary program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. It will provide you with hands-on experiences and internship opportunities throughout your undergraduate career. (abet.org)
Our expert faculty will lead you through the Four Pillars of Exceptional Engineering Education:
- Extensive, real-world experiences
- Required international fieldwork
- Integration of engineering with essential business skills
- Development of effective leaders and communicators
About the Program
The mechanical engineering major at Mount Union offers a comprehensive education that will prepare you for meaningful work in an array of industries. Through our specialized courses like Product Design and Development and Fatigue and Fracture Analysis, you will develop a skill set that will transfer from the classroom into the field.
Our School of Engineering boasts a 94% placement rate in paid engineering internships, meaning you can establish your professional network and have your work noticed before you graduate. Through our required international field experience, our world-traveled faculty will guide you on difference-making projects in impoverished areas.
Faculty-Led International Field Experience
During your junior year, you will travel abroad as part of the International Engineering Field Experience course. In previous trips, students have:
- Traveled to Belize for 10 days to build a stormwater control system and man-made sea wall, as well as researching low-cost sustainable development and renewable energy.
- Built a flood detection system in Abu Dhabi with peers from Al Ain University.
Mechanical Engineering Quick Facts
- 98 credit hours within the national security degree program
- 32 credit hours in the well-rounded Integrative Core
- Travel and make an impact through our required international experiences
Learn more about the Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Become an influential leader in this in-demand field with a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering from Mount Union. Through internship experiences and exploration across the globe, you will be prepared to make a difference and find important solutions to the complex problems of today.
Program Mission and Objectives
The mission of the mechanical engineering program is to provide a comprehensive, rigorous, hands-on engineering education in a quality and conducive learning environment; providing students with the skills and competencies necessary for employment or career advancement as electrical engineers. Our graduates will be equipped for life-long learning necessary for professional practice and advanced studies. We will prepare our students to be the technical, business, and global leaders of tomorrow.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will be able to lead fulfilling professional lives by integrating their Mechanical Engineering expertise with business and communication skills.
- Graduates will be able to produce meaningful work by meeting the expectations of employers of mechanical engineers.
- Graduates who are interested will be able to pursue meaningful work through advanced study or alternative career paths.
- Graduates will be able to engage in responsible citizenship through dynamic roles in their local, national, and/or international communities.
At the time of graduation, mechanical engineering students will have achieved the following Student Outcomes:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Taught by our outstanding engineering faculty with expertise in the many fields that make up mechanical engineering, you will start your college career with general education courses in chemistry, physics, calculus and an overall view of the engineering profession as well as analysis and design. Throughout your years at Mount Union, you will engage in our dynamic curriculum that is strongly focused on real-world application. You will gain hands-on experience through a required international experience in the field as well as through the engineering capstone design course.
Mechanical engineering graduates are typically among those with the highest starting salaries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, mechanical engineering is projected to increase by approximately 5% over the course of the next decade. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest disciplines in the field and can open the door to endless possibilities.