Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Verification selection can be random or it can be because your FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated, or inconsistent. The U.S. Department of Education selects some students for the verification process. The University of Mount Union may select others if conflicting information is found.
We are required to ask you to provide documentation to confirm the information on your FAFSA. Refer to your award letter or the Financial Aid Portal (log in using your Mount Union username and password) to review what documentation is required to complete the verification process. Forms can be found on the applying for financial aid page.
If you are required to submit tax documents, you have two options:
OPTION 1 (preferred): Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2018 tax data to the 2020-2021 FAFSA
- Login at fafsa.gov and click on “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS.” (Parent financial section will be first; then the student financial section will follow.)
- On the IRS page that pops up, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA.” It should take you back to the FAFSA and the tax information should be filled in.
- If both the student and parent(s) filed taxes, the linking process (above) will need to be done for both the student and the parent(s).
- Lastly you must resubmit the FAFSA. (We will be notified electronically.)
- You will NOT be able to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Marital status changed after December 31, 2018
- Filed "Married Filing Separately"
- Filed an amended return
- Filed a foreign tax return
- Filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- Applicants who have not and are not required to file a 2018 Federal Tax Return.
For applicants who cannot use the online IRS Data Retrieval Tool, a signed copy of 2018 tax returns can be submitted. See Option 2 below.
OPTION 2: Submit a signed copy of 2018 tax return forms
Submit signed tax returns to the Office of Student Financial Aid via mail (1972 Clark Ave., Alliance, OH 44601) OR fax to (330) 829-2814. Please be sure to include the student's name and student ID number. Do not send any personally identifiable information (PII) via email if you are not able to encrypt it. PII includes attachments with Social Security Numbers, ID Numbers, dates of birth, etc.
After your documents/forms are submitted we will scan them into our imaging software, then review them for completion. We are required to resolve any conflicting information, so if we discover conflicts or any documentation is missing or incomplete, we will notify you via email for a resolution. Be sure to monitor your Mount Union email address.
Once all documents/forms have been submitted, please allow several weeks for processing. We will send a final notice once we have completed our review.