Bachelor of Arts in Japanese Degree
Outshine the competition with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Japanese at the University of Mount Union. Worldwide businesses are growing every day, and our program will provide you with the tools you need to establish yourself as a global leader. Combining the Japanese language with majors in other areas will show future employers you are an accomplished and influential leader poised to act.
About the Program
Add a global edge to any degree with a major or minor in Japanese. In this program, you will learn about the language, cultculture histories of Japan, which is paramount for a successful career. Through a strong in-class curriculum and opportunities for real-world experiential learning, the Japanese major prepares you for careers and professions in teaching, business, international affairs and science.
Japanese Quick Facts
- 30-32 credit hours within the Japanese program
- 32 credit hours in the well-rounded Integrative Core
- Study Abroad in Japan as part of your major study
- Double major or minor in other areas of interest
- Scholarship Opportunities available through the Freeman Asia and Bridging Scholarship programs
- Teach Japanese at the K-12 level with the Ohio Teacher Licensure
Learn more about the Degree in Japanese
Position yourself for a global career with a Bachelor of Arts in Japanese at the University of Mount Union. With a rich curriculum that complements a wide variety of other areas and teaching assistants and professors from the native countries, our programs are perfect to bring first-hand experience and knowledge directly to you.
Our Japanese program focuses on several different aspects of Japanese culture, giving you the opportunity to learn through speaking, reading, listening, and writing skills of the language. You’ll also learn about social aspects of Japanese culture, including living patterns, social structure and value systems. You will also get to directly use this curriculum during your time spent living and learning in Japan through our study abroad program.
Review the Undergraduate Catalog to learn more.
Our degree in Japanese prepares you to:
- Demonstrate the level of proficiency necessary to enable them to function in an environment where Japanese is used exclusively. Students will demonstrate speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Japanese at the ACTFL Intermediate-High Level. Additionally, Japanese majors will demonstrate the ability to read written passages and write compositions using Kanji Characters.
- Learn the cultures and civilizations of the principal groups of people who speak Japanese, from a variety of perspectives, including the historical, geographical, sociopolitical, literary, and artistic.
- Grow awareness of the relevance of foreign languages to professions and careers.
International opportunities are unlike any other experience a student has had. Through hands-on and engaging service-learning trips, international internships, and study abroad, you can immerse yourself in the language and culture of different countries. These impactful opportunities help you distinguish yourself as an accomplished and impressive leader after graduation.
Careers in Japanese
Japanese is spoken by more than 115 million people worldwide. In our global society, investment by Japanese companies in the United States continues to grow, and global demand for speakers of Japanese is increasing. In Ohio alone, more than 200 Japanese companies operate branch offices. Whether your interests lie in business, education, technology, or translation, our Japanese degree program will prepare you for career success.
Not only will our Japanese major prepare you to speak, write, read, and listen to the language, but you also will be versed in the culture, daily living patterns, social structure, and value system of Japan. Whether entering the workforce or pursuing graduate studies, a major in Japanese at the University of Mount Union can certainly give you an edge in numerous career fields.
Teaching English and/or Japanese Domestically
Teaching English Abroad
U.S. Department of State
Eastern Illinois University
University of Northern Arizona
JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Program
Toyota Tsusho, America, INC
Nippon Rika, America, INC.
BPT Bucyrus Precision Tech (Ohio)
Miyazu City Hall in Kyoto, Japan
AEON English Language School
Togo Investment Company in Tokyo, Japan