Most students entering college are expected to figure out how to adapt to the experience on their own. The opportunities that students are exposed to during the Jumpstart Program are unique experiences that will give them an advantage when classes begin. By introducing them to the expectations of college life at Mount Union and equipping them with the skills and resources to succeed, students will be empowered to customize their university experience, while beginning to develop strategies and skills to be successful.
THE JUMPSTART PROGRAM FOCUSES ON THREE CORE AREAS
- Focus on equipping incoming students with the skills and strategies to transition to, and manage the academic workload they can expect at UMU
- Practice critical thinking and reflection techniques, communication, and technical skills needed in University coursework, particularly college-level reading, writing, and oral communication
- Developing academic success strategies in math, reading, writing, oral presentations, and research
- Developing important skills for a successful college career, including note-taking, study skills, time management, test anxiety, stress management, major planning, and more .
Student Support and Services
- Acclimating students to campus life
- Empowering students to successfully navigate the many student services and support areas available at Mount
- Learning how to customize a personalized experience at the University through an introduction to a variety of opportunities to get involved on campus, from academic departments and programs to student-led organizations and activities.
Social and Cultural Activities
- Build a strong cohort of fellow students, which will develop into a close network of peers contributing to their social integration as well as provide a collaborative learning community
- Form supportive relationships with UMU faculty and staff who will serve as advisors, tutors, and mentors to provide students with the support necessary for success.
- Learn about the variety of opportunities to get actively involved in social, cultural, educational, and service programs at Mount Union
- Embrace all forms of diversity through collaborative projects and experiences