Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations Degree
Influence how the world communicates with the Bachelor of Arts in public relations degree from the University of Mount Union. You will blend creativity with strategy to become a leading practitioner in an industry that sparks your passion.
Our expert faculty will help you develop crucial skills sought by employers across the country. You will take the theories behind audience segmentation, crisis communication, and integrated marketing communications and put them into practice through impactful service-learning projects and internships.
About the Program
The public relations major at Mount Union combines the core curriculum of our School of Business with the rigorous academic standards of the Public Relations Society of America, ensuring you stand out amongst your peers. Our faculty will advise you every step of your journey to prepare you for work in organization, agency, or non-profit settings after graduation.
Through membership in the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) you will have the opportunity to establish a professional network through agency shadowing and conferences while having access to unique scholarships and awards.
Public Relations Quick Facts
- 56 credit hours within the public relations degree program
- 32 credit hours in the well-rounded Integrative Core
- Travel to conferences and seminars or through Study Abroad
- Intern with local or regional agencies or non-profit organizations
- Network with peers and industry professionals through membership in PRSSA
Learn more about the Degree in Public Relations
Create campaigns that inspire audiences around the world with the Bachelor of Arts in public relations degree from Mount Union. By developing your talents in all aspects of the PR process and implementing those talents through projects that promote local businesses, you will be ready for a rewarding career in this in-demand field.
The public relations Major will transition students into creative and strategic problem-solvers who utilize all forms of communication to develop and maintain effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders. Students will research problems and opportunities, analyze stakeholder groups, develop strategic and ethical communication programs utilizing all media, and apply evaluation methods to measure program results.
Requirements for the Major in Public Relations
Required Business Core Courses Semester Hours
- ACC 205 Financial Accounting 4
- ACC 207 Managerial Accounting 2
- BUS 100 Introduction to Business 2
- BUS 110 Global Business 2
- BUS 122 Quantitative Methods for Business 4
- MTH 141 Calculus I 4
- BUS 130 Legal Environment of Business 2
- BUS 275 Intro to Management Information Systems 2
- BUS 313 Planning for Meaningful Work 2
- BUS 315 Ethical Issues in Business 2
- BUS/PHL 335V Business Ethics 4
- ECN 200S Introduction to Microeconomics 4
- ECN 207 Introduction to Macroeconomics 2
- FIN 320 Corporate Finance I 4
- MGT 200 Management Principles 2
- MKT 220 Marketing Principles 4
- MTH 123 Elementary Statistics 4
Required Public Relations Courses
- PRN 150 Strategical Public Relations I 2
- PRN 250 Strategical Public Relations II 2
- PRN 310 Public Relations Writing 4
- PRN 320V Public Relations Cases 4
- PRN 455 Public Relations Campaigns 4
Required Major-Specific Electives (Choose a total of 4 credits)
- PRN 113 Event Planning 2
- PRN 271 Media Copywriting 4
- PRN 499 Internship in Public Relations 2
Total 62 – 64
Students who choose to major in public relations at the University of Mount Union have ample opportunities to get involved outside of the classroom. By getting involved in these extracurricular opportunities and student organizations, you can strengthen your skills in communication and get valuable hands-on experience, both of which are critical to a successful career in public relations after graduation. All majors are encouraged to participate actively in the activities and student organizations offered for public relations degree students.
Service-learning is a large component of the public relations major. Recent classroom projects have benefitted National Banned Books Week, the Huston-Brumbaugh Nature Center, Pegasus Farm, and the Akron-Canton-Youngstown Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America.
Activities and Organizations
Students have the opportunity to join and become an active member in the University of Mount Union student-directed chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). As a member, you will hear speakers in the profession, tour agencies, attend local conferences and professional luncheons, and help develop an annual event that benefits a community nonprofit organization. Since the chapter is part of the national PRSSA organization, you will also have access to national scholarships, awards, internships, and public relations positions.
You can also become active in the student-directed Raider Student Media that oversees Mount Union’s radio station (WRMU 91.1 FM), YouTube channel (Studio M), and campus newspaper (The Dynamo).
Internships provide valuable and practical experience for public relations major students, and they help to fill the gap between the academic and professional worlds.
Mount Union public relations degree students have interned with the following organizations:
- Akron Beacon Journal
- Aultman Hospital
- Canton Repository
- Smithsonian Institute
- Washington Week in Review
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Cleveland Indians
- Cleveland television channels: 5, 8, 19/43 and FOX Sports NET OHIO
- Country Music Television
- House of Blues
- Walt Disney World
Mount Union’s public relations degree program provides students with the knowledge and practical experience necessary to build meaningful relationships with an organization and its target markets to ensure a successful career in public relations. The public relations major requirements and curriculum as well as the on-campus media opportunities will prepare you for a variety of careers.
- Nationwide Insurance
- Harvard University
- George Washington University
Recent Grad Schools
- University of Georgia
- University of Wisconsin
- Youngstown State University
- Northwestern University
- Syracuse University
- The Ohio State University
- Kent State University
- University of Akron
- Social media consultant
- Event planner
- Public relations specialist
- Press secretary