Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Degree
Improve our global infrastructure with the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering degree from the University of Mount Union. Our four-year, interdisciplinary program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET and will provide you with hands-on experiences and internship opportunities throughout your undergraduate career. (abet.org)
Our expert faculty will lead you through the Four Pillars of Exceptional Engineering Education:
- Extensive, real-world experiences
- Required international fieldwork
- Integration of engineering with essential business skills
- Development of effective leaders and communicators
About the Program
The civil engineering major at Mount Union offers a leading education that will prepare you for meaningful industrial work. Offering specialized courses in water resource engineering and geotechnical engineering design, you will put the classroom theory and knowledge you gain into practice in real settings.
Our world-traveled faculty will lead you on your own international experience, and our 94% paid internship placement rate means you will also build your local professional network. Your senior design capstone will also ensure you develop tangible work to boost your portfolio as you head into the workforce.
Faculty-Led International Field Experience
During your junior year, you will travel abroad as part of the International Engineering Field Experience course. In previous trips, students have:
- Traveled to Belize for 10 days to build a stormwater control system and man-made sea wall, as well as researching low-cost sustainable development and renewable energy.
- Built a flood detection system in Abu Dhabi with peers from Al Ain University.
Civil Engineering Quick Facts
- 102 credit hours in the Civil Engineering degree program
- 32 credit hours in the well-rounded Integrative Core
- Travel and make an impact through our required international experience
Learn more about the Degree in Civil Engineering
Build the world in which you want to live with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from Mount Union. Through internship experiences and international work that aids impoverished communities, you will be ready to lead in this in-demand industry.
Program Mission and Objectives
The mission of the civil engineering program is to provide a comprehensive, rigorous, hands-on engineering education in a quality and conducive learning environment; providing students with the skills and competencies necessary for employment or career advancement as civil engineers. Our graduates will be equipped for life-long learning necessary for professional practice and advanced studies. We will prepare our students to be the technical, business, and global leaders of tomorrow.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the University of Mount Union's Civil Engineering Program will achieve:
- Fulfilling lives by pursuing licensure, advanced studies, and/or alternate career paths.
- Meaningful work by applying their strong Civil Engineering, problem solving, business, leadership, and communication skills to meet the expectations of their employers and society.
- Responsible citizenship by serving the Civil Engineering profession and their community locally, nationally, and internationally.
At the time of graduation, Civil Engineering students will have achieved the following Student Outcomes:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Taught by our outstanding engineering faculty with expertise in the many fields that make up civil engineering, you will start your college career with general education courses in chemistry, physics, calculus, and an overall view of the engineering profession as well as analysis and design. Throughout your years at Mount Union, you will engage in our dynamic curriculum that is strongly focused on real-world application. You will gain hands-on experience through a required international experience in the field as well as through the engineering capstone design course.
Civil engineering graduates are typically among those with the highest starting salaries. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, civil engineering is projected to grow 20% over the next decade. Students at the University of Mount Union will be prepared to work on planning, designing, constructing, or maintaining a number of structures including roads, bridges, airports, tunnels, dams, and water and sewage systems. Civil engineers have the option of working for local, state, or federal government agencies, as well as private practices.