The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Arts degree in middle childhood education degree and license prepares students to work with grades 4-9, with a choice of focus in language arts, science, social studies and mathematics. Middle childhood majors choose two of the four areas of emphasis in addition to a minor area of study. Similar to other education majors, middle childhood students begin field experience in the spring of freshman year with placements in a variety of school and agency settings.
Middle Childhood Education Major Quick Facts
The middle childhood education program requires 34 credit hours of coursework specific to the major, with an additional 12 hour reading requirement through the Ohio Department of Education and 32 hours for the University’s general education program, the Integrative Core. This allows students to explore areas of study outside their field of interest while developing essential leadership and communication skills that employers value.
Mount Union’s education majors also have several opportunities for hands-on experiences, including:
- Multiple field experiences and a semester of student teaching
- Internships in the field with various schools and organizations including the Spectrum Education Center and the Alliance Middle School Navigators afterschool program
- Opportunities to attend on-campus and regional conferences and professional development workshops
- Membership in Kappa Delta Pi, an international honorary for education students, and The Student National Education Association (SNEA), a student-led organization for education majors and minors
Mount Union’s Department of Education also has received numerous recognitions for the quality and caliber of its programs:
- The Department of Education was ranked #2 in Ohio, #6 in the Great Lakes region and #18 in the nation as a best value in College Factual’s 2018 rankings
- The Department was also recognized as #6 in Ohio and #21 in the Great Lakes region for quality and #12 Ohio and #37 in the Great Lakes region for highest paid graduates
- Mount Union’s Department of Education programs were cited among institutions with the most popular and most focused programs