The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Arts degree in physical education and license prepares students to work with children from grades K-12. Students in our CAEP and NASPE accredited undergraduate physical education major program benefit from a winning combination of textbook learning in top-notch facilities and extensive “real-world” teaching experiences that will position you for a successful and rewarding teaching career. From principles of health to fitness and leisure activities to motor and developmental learning, you will explore a variety of courses as a physical education major. You will also study human movement and exercise, along with anatomy and physiology, building skills to prepare you for a field in physical education.
Physical Education Major Quick Facts
The health major requires 36 credit hours of coursework specific to the major, with an additional 32 credit hours for the University’s general education program, the Integrative Core. This allows students to explore areas of study outside their field of interest while developing essential leadership and communication skills that employers value.
Education majors have several opportunities to gain hands-on experience outside of the classroom, including:
- Multiple field experiences and a semester of student teaching
- Internships in the field with various schools and organizations including the Spectrum Education Center
- Opportunities to attend on campus and regional conferences and professional development workshops
- Membership in several student organizations for education majors including Students in Health and Physical Education (SHAPE), Kappa Delta Pi, and Student National Education Association (SNEA)
Mount Union’s Department of Education also has received numerous recognitions for the quality and caliber of its programs:
- The Department of Education was ranked #2 in Ohio, #6 in the Great Lakes region and #18 in the nation as a best value in College Factual’s 2018 rankings
- Mount Union’s Department of Education programs were cited among institutions with the most popular and most focused programs
- Mount Union has been recognized as a 2017-2018 College of Distinction for its education programs.
- Mount Union's health and physical education programs were ranked #1 in Ohio, #9 in the Great Lakes region, and #20 in the nation as a best value and #1 in Ohio, #4 in the Great Lakes region, and 33 in the nation as a most focused program in College Factual's 2018 rankings
- The programs were also ranked #6 in Ohio and #21 in the Great Lakes region for quality and #9 in Ohio and #34 in the Great Lakes region for popularity in College Factual’s 2018 rankings