The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Music Education degree and license prepares students to work with children from grades K-12. As a music education major, you will study the history, theory, basic musicianship, and practical skills in the field. You will have the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of music courses and participate in a musical performance group.
As you complete the degree requirements and curriculum for our CAEP accredited music education major program, you will be given many opportunities to perfect the craft of musical teaching including classroom preparation and field experiences at nearby schools. These are just a few of the many opportunities you will have to write original music plans, create a welcoming classroom environment, and share your passion of music with the younger generation.
Music Education Major Quick Facts
The music education major requires 100-105 credit hours of coursework specific to the major with an additional 32 credit hours for the University’s general education program, the Integrative Core. This allows students to explore areas of study outside their field of interest while developing essential leadership and communication skills that employers value.
Music education majors have several opportunities to gain valuable hands-on experience in both musicianship and teaching, including:
- Multiple field experiences and a semester of student teaching
- Opportunities to attend on campus and regional conferences and professional development workshops
- The opportunity to join over 15 performance groups including the Alliance Symphony Orchestra, the marching band, jazz band, the women’s chorus, repertory strings, and many more.
Mount Union’s Department of Education also has received numerous recognitions for the quality and caliber of its programs:
- The Department of Education was ranked #2 in Ohio, #6 in the Great Lakes region and #18 in the nation as a best value in College Factual’s 2018 rankings
- Mount Union’s Department of Education programs were cited among institutions with the most popular and most focused programs
- Mount Union has been recognized as a 2017-2018 Education College of Distinction