Skip to Content


As an ever-evolving institution, we are dedicated to making students’ time here on campus the very best it can be. We know that where you will eat, sleep, study and hangout for the next four years are crucial to your experience. In an effort to ensure your happiness, fulfillment and future success, we provide state-of-the-art academic buildings, student-focused recreation facilities, comfortable housing options, and lively student life areas.

View our Campus Map.

Academic Buildings

Bracy Hall


This four-story natural sciences facility houses the departments of Biological and Environmental Sciences and  Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Physics. Made possible through a lead gift from Jim and Vanita (Bauknight '63) Oelschlager, the facility is named for Dr. Carl C. Bracy, sixth president of Mount Union. The 87,000-square-foot structure includes 22 laboratories of various types and sizes, three lecture halls, two classrooms, and 21 faculty offices

Bracy Hall is home to the Clarke Astronomical Observatory (1968). Moved in May 2003 to the south end of Bracy Hall, it was previously located at the south end of East Hall. It is the second such building to honor the memory of Dr. George Washington Clarke, professor of natural philosophy at Mount Union. The first observatory, erected in 1924, served until it was razed to make room for the Timken Physical Education Building. The instruments, used in both observatories, are the gifts of Elmer E. Harrold of Leetonia, Ohio.

Chapman Hall


This five-story brick, steel, and concrete structure is named in honor of Professor Ira O. Chapman, who was associated with Mount Union from the fall of 1851 to the time of his death in 1880. It is the principal humanities classroom building on campus and was completely rebuilt in 1966-1967. The facility houses the departments of  Justice, Diversity, and Interdisciplinary HumanitiesLiterature and Communication Arts, and  World Languages and CulturesThere are 30 faculty offices in Chapman, 30 classrooms, an accounting laboratory, an audio-visual room, and student and faculty lounges.

Cope Music Hall


Cope Music Hall, part of the Giese Center for the Performing Arts, is named in memory of the late Kenneth B. Cope ’20, alumnus, trustee, and churchman. Principal donors to the building were his widow, Lela (Stoffer ’21) Cope, and family.

The building contains the offices and teaching studios of faculty members in the Department of Performing Arts. A dedicated instrumental rehearsal room, 30 practice rooms of various sizes, and three classrooms are on the east side of the building. In addition, a complete keyboard laboratory of 12 Roland electronic pianos is located in the music theory area, adjacent to a computer laboratory. 

The facility includes  Presser Recital Hall, which is dedicated to Theodore Presser, a former Mount Union student and professor. The three-manual organ in the recital hall is the gift of the Kulas Foundation.

Also located in this area is the Sturgeon Music Library, given in memory of Bertha Fogg Sturgeon and her parents, by Samuel Sturgeon.  The collection of books, scores, and recordings was begun by a generous donation by Mrs. Ella Wilcox Peasley and the Carnegie Corporation. Presently, there are more than 7,000 recordings in LP and CD formats, more than 10,000 music scores, a music reference collection, and approximately 60 music periodical titles in the library. The facilities include four listening stations, an A-V room with stereo equipment, a TV and VCR, and a computer workstation with access to the campus network, the library system, and the Internet.

Eells Art Center


The William H. Eells Art Center is home to the Department of Visual Arts and Media. It contains a lecture room, painting studio, rooms for printmaking, sculpture, drawing and design, a Mac computer lab, and faculty offices. The facility is named for the late Dr. Eells, who was a patron of the arts, a member of the Mount Union Board of Trustees, and a former faculty member at Mount Union.

Engineering and Business Building

OAK HALL (2010)

The Engineering and Business Building was renovated in 2010 to serve as the facility for Mount Union’s programs in mechanical engineering and civil engineering. The building houses the School of Engineering and the School of Business.

The academic facility includes a two-story lobby, the John F. “Jack” Peters stock ticker display, time zone clock, five engineering labs, a computer lab, two lecture halls, a conference room, a student lounge, study areas, and 21 faculty offices.

As a part of Mount Union’s sustainability initiative, contractors renovated the building under silver LEED-certified standards.

Gallaher Hall


Gallaher Hall, Mount Union's health and medical sciences facility, houses the departments of Nursing, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies. The approximately 41,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility features an operating simulation room, exam rooms, skill labs, a conference room, tiered and regular classrooms, expansion space, a courtyard, and faculty offices. Named for the late Dr. Charles S. Gallaher ’25, the facility is connected by a walkway to the south end of Bracy Hall, the University's natural sciences facility.

Giese Center for the Performing Arts


The Performing Arts Center is named in honor of Dr. Richard F. and Sandra L. Giese in recognition of their exceptional service to the University from 2005 to 2015, during which time Dr. Giese served as president of the institution. The Gieses were at the forefront of the effort to provide enhanced and expanded space for the performing arts at Mount Union and were instrumental in making the dream of a center for the performing arts a reality.

The center houses the Department of Performing Arts and includes the Sally Otto Art Gallery, Gallaher Theatre, and Brush Performance Hall in addition to a choral room, green room, scene shop, costume shop, and dressing rooms.

    The Sally Otto Art Gallery features exhibitions of work by students, faculty, and professionals throughout the academic year.

    The Gallaher Theatre, a black box multipurpose space can host an array of events including improv theatre, theatre in the round, small music ensemble recitals, dance performances, and other entertainment events as well as banquets and receptions.

    The proscenium-style Brush Performance Hall offers seating for 450 on its lower level and on its balcony. The acoustically significant, state-of-the-art space can host events of varied natures including vocal, instrumental, and theatrical performances.

    Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center


    The Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center provides 45,912 square feet of technology and learning space, which is directly linked to the traditional library space. It houses the Digital, Written, and Oral Communication Studio, PC labs, a Macintosh lab, a computer science lab, a language lab, several multimedia classrooms, 24-hour access to study space, computer labs, and vending. It also contains classrooms and office space for the  School of Education and  Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The facility was made possible through a lead gift from Steve '84 and Suzanne (Spisak '84) Harter.

    Originally built in 1950 and expanded in 1975, the University Library is located within the Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center. The library offers more than 230,000 books in open stacks, more than 900 current journal titles, back years of journals in both bound and microform format, and more than 350,000 federal government publications. Access to a wide range of computer databases and electronic full-text products is available via campus networked access to the Internet. Library collections are accessed through the OPAL catalog. Mount Union is part of a 19 library catalog consortium that uses the Innovative Interfaces software system. As part of the OhioLINK system, our users may borrow materials directly from all OPAL libraries as well as any of the 74 OhioLINK libraries throughout the state of Ohio. In addition to the OPAL catalog, the Mount Union library home page on the Internet offers access to more than 200 periodical indexes in a wide array of subject areas, more than 5,000 full-text periodical titles, a range of encyclopedias and dictionaries, and several gateways to federal government document resources. Special collections are located in the Rare Books Room and the Historical Room, which houses the University's archives and a local history collection. The estate of Louis H. Brush makes annual grants to purchase books and periodicals in memory of James Alpheus Brush, the first Librarian of the University, and his wife. The Thomas S. Brush Foundation, Inc. made a gift of approximately $500,000 in 1971 to the Endowment Fund of the University with the income to be used for the purchase of books and periodicals in memory of Mr. Brush's grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Louis H. Brush. 

    McPherson Center for Human Performance


    The McPherson Center for Human Performance, located adjacent to the Timken Physical Education Building, is the home of the Department of Exercise, Sport, and Nutrition Sciences and the sport business program with faculty offices, a student lounge, and state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory facilities. The building was made possible through a lead gift from Richard ’50 and Dorothy (Werstler ’49) McPherson. The center is part of the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex.

    Tolerton-Hood Hall


    Tolerton and Hood Hall houses the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience, and Human Development and the School of Engineering. The building includes faculty offices, a large lecture room, individual classrooms, and student laboratories. The building was endowed in 1983 through a generous gift from Mary (Tolerton '24) Hood. Tolerton and Hood was named for Mrs. Hood's father, Howard Tolerton, and her husband, Clifford Hood.

    van den Eynden Hall


    Located at 136 Hartshorn St. and formerly known as the Administration Annex, the building was named in 1990 in recognition of the late Howard and Kathryn van den Eynden of Shaker Heights, Ohio. The building was the gift of an anonymous donor in 1940. Prior to that time, it housed the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity, and from 1942-1962 it served as the College Student Union and a residence hall. In the years following through 2009, the facility housed a number of administrative offices and academic departments, including those dedicated to public relations and marketing, alumni, advancement, annual giving, religion and philosophy, and sociology. The building, renovated in 2018, now houses offices for the Regula Center and the Department of Social Sciences.